Wednesday, April 5, 2017

The Hideaway By Lauren Denton





When her grandmother’s will wrenches Sara back home, she learns more about Margaret Van Buren in the wake of her death than she ever knew in life.
After her last remaining family member dies, Sara Jenkins goes home to The Hideaway, her grandmother Mags’s ramshackle B&B in Sweet Bay, Alabama. She intends to quickly tie up loose ends then return to her busy life and thriving antique shop in New Orleans. Instead, she learns Mags has willed The Hideaway to her and charged her with renovating it—no small task considering her grandmother’s best friends, a motley crew of senior citizens, still live there.
Rather than hurrying back to New Orleans, Sara stays in Sweet Bay and begins the biggest house-rehabbing project of her career. Amid drywall dust, old memories, and a charming contractor, she discovers that slipping back into life at The Hideaway is easier than she expected.
Then she discovers a box Mags left in the attic with clues to a life Sara never imagined for her grandmother. With help from Mags’s friends, Sara begins to piece together the mysterious life of bravery, passion, and choices that changed her grandmother’s destiny in both marvelous and devastating ways.
When an opportunistic land developer threatens to seize The Hideaway, Sara is forced to make a choice—stay in Sweet Bay and fight for the house and the people she’s grown to love or leave again and return to her successful but solitary life in New Orleans.

Pick up your copy here...

Born and raised in Mobile, Alabama, Lauren now lives with her husband and two young daughters in Homewood, just outside Birmingham. In addition to her fiction, she writes a monthly newspaper column about life, faith, and how funny (and hard) it is to be a parent. On any given day, she’d rather be at the beach with her family and a stack of books. The Hideaway is her first novel.

I was so excited about this book. I just love the cover. And Thomas Nelson has some of the best authors. So when I saw this new book by a new author, I could not wait to get my hands on it. That being said it pains me to write this review.
This book had a married women giving birth to another mans baby. Drinking all through the book. Gay people.
It has no mention of Jesus it is not the normal Christian book that I read everyday.
I hate that I had to write a review like this. It would have been a good read had it not had the feel of a secular book.
I can't give it any stars based on the fact that I read  and review Christian books and this was definitely not a Christian read. I do want to express my feelings that this is not a book for those of you wanting a good read that has Jesus and spiritual overtures. You may want to leave this one off your list.
 I received  this book from the publisher for review. A favorable was not required and all views expressed are my own.

19 comments:

  1. I trust your review to steer clear of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read these kinds of books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no intention to read this book after reading your review. I do like the cover very deceiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it pains you to have to give a no stay review. I will pass on this one. Thank you for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sad that the publisher would publish this book. I don't want to read it after finding out what's in it. Thanks Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Mary for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is so surprising Thomas Nelson should know better then this. Maybe they did not read the book. Yea right! We know better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After reading this review this is definitely a book that I will not be spending my money on! However, in the synopsis about the book, it does sound like a book that someone who likes to read this kind of book would like. However, I trust Mary's honest reviews and will have to pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very disappointing to mr. Sorry you had to write this review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Baby at of wedlock, gays, drunkenness,no mention of God. Not a book I will be buying or reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't know about this one, sounds interesting but if it didn't have all the sin in it I would read it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow. This doesn't sound like one I would want to read. Thank you for your honesty in it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Certainly not reading this one and I thank you so much for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This one just went to the top of my do-not-read list. Thank you for letting us know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will avoid this one thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your honest review. It makes me sad to hear this. I'd still like to read it.

      Delete
  17. I am so glad to see your review for this book. I also read it and felt the exact same way. There is also another TN book out there, Sweet Magnolias (or something like that). Stay clear of it also.

    ReplyDelete