Friday, September 27, 2013

The Christmas Visitor By Linda Byler


Young Amish widow, Ruth, and her six children are still grieving the sudden loss of her husband, Ben, as Christmas arrives in Amish author, Linda Byler's, holiday novel. Ruth can barely put food on the table, let alone buy toys for her children. But then gifts begin to appear at her door. Could they be from that kind man who just joined their community?

    
     One moment, Ben Miller was high up in the rafters at his neighbor's barn raising. The next, his foot slipped and he plunged to his death, leaving behind a young wife and six children—the youngest born four months after his death. Ruth Miller is not alone. Her Amish neighbors help her to make the difficult transition from wife to widow. 
    
     But while the community has been generous, raising six growing children, each grieving their father's death, is overwhelming. Devastated by her loss, Ruth isn't sure how she'll make ends meet or restore order to a house full of rambunctious kids. With help from her mother and her energetic, but untidy neighbor, Mamie, Ruth finds a way to start over. Preoccupied with the effort to create a new life and manage her shrinking bank account, Ruth barely notices John King, the handsome newcomer to her community. Besides, how could she—if she had a chance—replace Ben? Does one ever replace a husband? 
     
     As Christmas approaches, Ruth knows that she can't afford gifts for her children this year. It's hard enough to find money for groceries each week. But then banana boxes full of food, treats for the children, and even money begin to appear on her front porch. Who is leaving her these generous gifts? Is it a neighbor or a friend? Or, Ruth wonders, could it be John, who keeps unexpectedly appearing when Ruth most needs help?

 
 
     Linda Byler grew up Amish and is an active member of the Amish church today. Growing up, Linda loved to read and write. In fact, she still does. She is the author of Running Around (and Such), the first novel in the “Lizzie Searches for Love” series. She is well-known within the Amish community as a columnist for a weekly Amish newspaper. Linda and her husband, their children, and grandchildren live in central Pennsylvania.
 
I was so happy when a friend gave me this book as a gift, I could not wait to read it.
I was so disappointed, I think it was written by a 6th grader. It was all over the place and very predictable and just not what you would expect from a Amish Christmas book. This was just not my cup of tea, I feel I could not recommend this book to anyone.
I hate to say this but 2 stars is really a stretch.

18 comments:

  1. Well I was looking at this book in Wal-Mart but I did not get it, boy am I glad I did not. I don't want to read this. Thanks for your review Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Sue you won this book! I will get it right out to you!

      Delete
  2. I hate to hear that this book was not wriiten as well as it should have been. It sounds like a book that would be filled with love and emotion. I love the cover. I guess I would still like to give this book a try. Thank you, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you didn't like this book Mary but I'd like to give it a shot. The cover is so pretty. So, I hope I win it!

    Thanks for your honest review and giveaway!

    Blessings!
    Judy B

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not buying this book and wasting my money. I hope you have some 5 star Christmas books coming up soon Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, there are very few this year. I am sad to say, I only have a few more Christmas books coming up!

      Delete
  5. I love the cover & would like to read it, but I know I haven't enjoyed her books in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought at first when I started to read the review that it might be something that I would want to read. However, after reading my most trusted source's review, I don't think that this is a book that I would want to read. Thanks Mary for your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read Linda Byler before and will again, she is not as good as bev lewis or wanda brunstetter but she does have her own style of writing...
    I will read this one, would love to win , thanks for your comments today
    Paula O(kyflo130@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the honest review Mary. I had this on my wish list but need to rethink that.

    Cathy Weber
    Cdweber20@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Amish, Love Christmas! Would love this book
    sonja.nishimoto (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary I would still like to win this book. I love Christmas stories.
    Maxie mac262(at)me(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my God! Two stars???? I know there is a first time for everything, but I've never read a bad Amish book. Thanx for being honest. If it's a giveaway, I would like to win it.

    1dozenstars@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your honest review, Mary!

    I love anything Amish &/or Christmas, & would like to try this book!

    Bonnie Roof

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wiould still like to win this book even though your review was not a good one for it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like it would be a great book to read. I do love Christmas Amish stories. So sorry it was a disappointing read. However, I'd still read it if I won it. (But it looks like I won't be buyng it for sure!)
    susanlulu@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw this book listed as a free ebook, and wondered about it. I haven't read anything by this author. Thanks for your honesty, Mary. Unfortunately there are books getting through the system without appropriate editing, and it's disappointing for someone who buys a book and finds out it wasn't worth their money, especially in this economy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How disappointing! Thank you for your honest review, Mary.

    ReplyDelete