Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Interview with author Rebecca Carey Lyles




Winds of Wyoming – a Kate Neilson Novel

Fresh out of a Pennsylvania penitentiary armed with a marketing degree, Kate Neilson heads to Wyoming anticipating an anonymous new beginning as a guest-ranch employee. A typical twenty-five-year-old woman might be looking to lasso a cowboy, but her only desire is to get on with life on the outside—despite her growing interest in the ranch owner. When she discovers a violent ex-lover followed her west, she fears the past she hoped to hide will imprison her once again.



Though debut novelist Rebecca Carey Lyles grew up in Wyoming, she and her husband, Steve, currently live in the neighboring state of Idaho. She enjoys the creativity and beauty that abound throughout her adopted state as well as opportunities to hike, camp, snowshoe and cross-country ski in the midst of God’s grandeur. While hiking in the Wyoming mountains one summer, she came nose-to-nose with—well, several feet from—a beautiful white wolf. Currently, she’s working on a Winds of Wyoming sequel titledWinds of Freedom. http://www.beckylyles.com/; http://www.widgetwords.wordpress.com/



1.  What do you hope readers will take away from your book?

My desire and prayer is that readers gain a deeper sense of God’s endless love and complete forgiveness. The Winds of Wyoming heroine, Kate Neilson, is an ex-felon who has recently been released from a Pennsylvania prison and traveled to Wyoming to start a new life. Growing in her newfound Christian faith involves daily experiencing God’s grace and power as she battles a past that follows as close as a shadow. As a result, she develops a deeper understanding of his love and forgiveness.

2. How does your faith play into your writing?

Because God has carried me through the ups and downs of life and I’ve seen how he walks alongside my friends and family, I find that faith is a natural theme to incorporate in fiction. Also, my nonfiction books are about people whose lives were dramatically changed by God. Interviewing those individuals and writing their stories was a privilege and a thrill. Both books are available on Amazon: It’s a God Thing! Inspiring Stories of Life-Changing Friendships -and- On a Wing and a Prayer – Stories from Freedom Fellowship, a Prison Ministry.

3. Why did you choose this particular genre?

Like most authors, I write what I like to read. My tagline for the Kate Nielson series incorporates some of my favorite genre aspects: Contemporary Christian Romance Set in the West and Salted with Suspense.

4. What is your favorite Bible verse and why?

Over the years, I’ve turned to Romans 15:13 again and again: “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” No matter how discouraging and dark the situation, when we have the Holy Spirit in our lives, we have hope, not only for daily living, but for eternity. With hope comes joy and peace. God is so good to us!

I also like the idea of overflowing with hope and that receiving it involves a powerful work of the Holy Spirit. A typical American understanding of hope, I think, is that it’s sort of a namby-pamby, wishing-upon-a-star dreaming rather than doing. Yet, trusting God to fill us with hope, joy and peace to overflowing requires amazing Spirit power.

5. Are you writing anything right now, if so can you tell us about it?

So glad you asked! I’m in the final hours of completing the sequel to Winds of Wyoming. Winds of Freedom is a bit more intense than the first book, has an even more sinister villain (or two), is set in the cooler months rather than summer, and involves the heroine’s struggle to not only deal with her own difficult issues, but to take care of her elderly aunt, who has MS and Alzheimer’s, and help her best friend, who’s in a desperate situation, plus encourage her husband with his ongoing ranching challenges.

6. Do you have a blog or website where readers can get up close and personal with you?

I love to chat with readers! Here are ways to connect:

Facebook: Rebecca Carey Lyles
Twitter: @BeckyLyles
 There will be a giveaway, so leave a comment!

15 comments:

  1. Another great interview Mary..keep up the great work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview and sounds like a very interesting book. I'm following your blog!

    Blessings,
    Jo
    azladijo(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview Mary.This sounds like a great book.Looking forward to reading it,Thanks so very much for all these great book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary and Rebecca,

    Fun interview - my husband grew up in Wyoming so of course I'm drawn to your books, Rebecca! I almost always prefer series so I'm even more drawn to a book when I know there's more coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Mary, for featuring "Winds of Wyoming" on your blogsite! Becky Lyles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, beautiful cover. :)

    biblioprincess15 (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a interesting story. Love your answer to what you hope readers will take from your book Rebecca. Thanks for another great interview Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginger, You are the winner of this wonderful book! E-mail me your mailing address. themaryreader@yahoo.com

      Delete
  8. Hi Rebecca, You are new author for me so adding your book to my wish list. I love romance, westerns and suspense so know I will love you new release. Thanks for stopping by to chat and share with us. Great interview Rebecca and Mary. Thanks for the opportunity to enter giveaway.

    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honored that you're adding "Winds" to your wish list. Amazing how long those book lists can get, huh?! Enjoy!

      Delete
  9. A wonderful review, Mary! Rebecca is a new author to me. I was captivated by your review of her book. When I looked at the cover my first impression was "Western," but it's so much more. Thanks for offering another giveaway!
    Nancee
    quiltcat26[at]sbcglobal[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to chuckle at your "western" comment, Nancee. I didn't intend to write about a ranch, but somehow it happened. Maybe I thought a ranch would be a good place to showcase God's creation. The sequel, "Winds of Freedom" (which I'm about to send off to the editor), takes place in Wyoming and Texas and features a horse or two and much more. ;-) Becky Lyles

      Delete
  10. Thanks so much Mary. I can't wait to read this one. My to read pile sure is growing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm happy to add "Winds" to your reading pile, Ginger. Will send a book off to you next week. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks again, Mary!

    ReplyDelete