Sunday, November 18, 2012

Unexpected Christmas Hero By Kathi Macias

Josie Meyers thinks she is living the American dream when she marries a nice, handsome man with a promising future. The dream quickly becomes a nightmare when Josie becomes a widow and must deal with the fallout of her husband’s decisions. She soon finds that she and her two small children are forced to live on the streets and in homeless shelters.

While the scenes surrounding Josie are dominated by Christmas decorations and carols, Josie finds herself struggling with the demands of caring for her two small children. She is forced to lean on the kindness and generosity of others. What she doesn't know is that the influence of one homeless man in particular is about to change the course of her life and lead her home to the One who waits for her. He becomes her unexpected Christmas hero.
Award-winning author Kathi Macias has written nearly 35 books, including the “Extreme Devotion” series, Beyond Me, How Can I Run a Tight Ship When I’m Surrounded by Loose Cannons?, Mothers of the Bible Speak to Mothers of Today, the best-selling devotional A Moment a Day, and the popular “Matthews” mystery novels. Kathi has written commentary for Thomas Nelson’s Spirit-Filled Life Bible (Student Edition); was part of the devotional writing team for Zondervan’s New Women’s Devotional Bible; and has ghostwritten for several prominent individuals including Josh McDowell; former NFL player Rosey Grier; and the late chaplain of the United States Senate, Richard Halverson. An avid writer, Kathi has published numerous devotionals, articles, short stories, and poems in various periodicals. The readership of her weekly devotionals has grown into the hundreds of thousands, being picked up by the Christian Civic League, Black Christian News, Latino Christian News, Christians in Recovery, and crosswalk.com.
A former judge for the Christy Awards, which recognize Christian novels of excellence, Kathi has won numerous awards herself. These awards include the Angel Award from Excellence in Media, a Hollywood-based organization set up to improve the moral and ethical content of films, television shows, books, etc.; fiction awards from the San Diego Christian Writers Guild; Golden Scroll Novel of the Year (Red Ink); Christy Award finalist (Red Ink); 2011 Author of the Year from BooksandAuthors.net; and the grand prize in an international writing contest. A former newspaper columnist and string reporter, Kathi now serves as a staff member for the Christian Communicator Manuscript Critique Service and spiritual advisor to the Christian Authors Network. She has also appeared on several radio and TV programs.
A popular speaker for women’s retreats, conferences, and churches, Kathi has taught creative writing and business writing in various venues; and has served on staff at a large church in Southern California, where she participated in biblical counseling, trained small-group leaders, and oversaw support/recovery ministries. With women’s ministry as her primary interest, Kathi also loves reaching out to others through various prison and homeless ministries. Passionate about praying for and aiding the persecuted church around the world, Kathi is a mother and grandmother and currently resides with her husband, Al, in California.
I Have read a whole lot of Christmas books in the last few months and this was the BEST by far.
What can I say about this book that will do it justice...... I will tell you this is a book you will NEVER forget. It touched my heart so much, I cried and cried and just wanted to go out and help as many people that I could. My heart just ached so bad as I read this book, but oh how it touched me in a great way.
This story will touch many hearts.
I plan to buy every copy the book stores have and keep copies in my purse to give away to people I meet while out and about. What a perfect ending to a wonderful Christmas story.
There is no way one can give this book just five stars it is impossible. This book will stay on my shelf and I will reread it over and over again.
This is not just a CHRISTmas book to read at CHRISTmas time. Every time you feel like things are so bad in your life pick this book up and read it!

I was given a copy of this book by the publisher,

I have an extra copy to giveaway, answer this question to be entered to win a copy of this must read.
How are you helping those in need around you?

22 comments:

  1. I'd love to read this!!! I love books about Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, Come over and get your copy. It is here waiting on you!

      Delete
    2. Thanks I really enjoyed this!!! Great book!! Thank you so much!!!

      Delete
  2. What a great review as always. I am going to go get me a copy of this book right now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I had two copies of this left and you are the winner of one of them! E-mail me your mailing address themaryreader@yahoo.com

      Delete
    2. Sue, congrats! You will love this book!

      Blessings!
      Judy

      Delete
  3. Kathi Macias is a very gifted author! This Christmas story will be read every year in the future. Kathi has opened doors to the homeless with this book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so excited I forgot to answer the question! In recent years I have purchased less for my children and have used that money for new hats, mittens, gloves, scarves, socks, sweatshirts, long underwear, etc. for the homeless community here in Grand Rapids, Michigan. We many times send our gifts overseas when we have so many needs right here in our own backyards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have done it again, do you plan on taking a break on the reviews you are costing me an arm and a leg. I love your review so much. Thank you Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful review of a book I have heard so much of. I love Christmas books but especially that touches your heart and soul. I think this one fits that description. Mary you open ours to the most wonderful authors and books. I appreciate all your hard work. A god bless

    Cathy Weber
    Cdweber20@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great review but I wouldn't call my self a hero. I love the Christmas time of the year because I do what my father did for so many years and dress up as Santa and visit many families and nursing homes. I dont charge anything because its the joy of seeing smiles on the faces of all I can and at this time of year I try my best to see joy brought to so many hearts I travel many miles and when all is done I my self have a better joy in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James I has two copies left guess what? You are one of the winners! Congrats you are going to LOVE this book! E-mail me your mailing address themaryreader@yahoo.com

      Delete
    2. James congrats! You WILL love this book!

      Blessings!
      Judy

      Delete
  8. I would love to win this book of Kathi's. She is a good author. I like that her stories are about important issues. Please enter me. Maxie ( mac262@me.com )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, I was in too big of a hurray. My answer to the question is that I'm gathering warm coats and clothes to take to our church to give to Homeless people, who need to be warm in our cold spell we are having.
    Maxie ( mac262@me.com )

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a book you don't want to miss! So touching, so powerful, so emotional. I read this book and passed it along to a lovely elderly lady in our church. She loved it and passed it along on Sunday to another lady. I would love to win another copy to keep for my own.
    We have worked serving food at our community table downtown to those in need. My husband and I have a fund set aside called God's money. We use it as the Lord leads to help those who are down and out. We give a card to go with it telling them God Loves them and this is God's gift. We ask that they thank Him.

    Blessings!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the wonderful review of Kathi's second Christmas novel. I'm glad it touched your heart so. Some have said it would make a great Hallmark Channel movie.

    I hope your readers will follow the link you posted to learn how they can help with the mission to reunite a family.

    Wishing you and your readers a blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I forgot there was a question to answer. I am making bedding for animal shelters and taking items to using homes. They so appreciate yarn, crochet hooks, books, magazines anything to keep ands and mind busy

    Thanks
    Cathy Weber
    Cdweber20@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a great review of my latest release. I appreciate you, my friend, and pray multiplied blessings to you and your readers/followers in the year to come!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Instead of being a Christmas hero, I would say I'm a praying warrior praying for those in need. I try to help others by being encouraging and helpful. Since I am a teacher, I give to organizations that help children - all year round! Thanks for the chance at this give-away. What a delighful read for the holiday season!
    Susan in NC
    susanlulu@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would really love to have the paperback copy of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well just make me want to read this one! This year my children are going through their toys and donating to a local toy drive for gently used toys to be given to children in the area.

    ReplyDelete