Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Christmas Pony By Melody Carlson

Eight-year-old Lucy Turnbull knew better than to wish for a pony that Christmas in 1937. Her mother had assured her in no uncertain terms that asking for a pony was the same as asking for the moon. Besides, the only extra mouths they needed at their boarding house were the paying kind. But when an interesting pair of strangers comes to town, Lucy starts to believe her Christmas wishes might just come true after all.

The queen of the Christmas novel, Melody Carlson pens another magical tale of expectation and excitement as one little girl dreams big and the impossible becomes possible.

Melody Carlson has written around 200 books for teens, women and children. That's a lot of books, but mostly she considers herself a "storyteller." Her books range from serious issues like schizophrenia (Finding Alice) to lighter topics like house-flipping (A Mile in My Flip-Flops) but most of the inspiration behind her fiction comes right out of real life. Her young adult novels (Diary of a Teenage Girl, TrueColors etc.) appeal to teenage girls around the world. Her annual Christmas novellas become more popular each year. She's won a number of awards (including the Rita and Gold Medallion) and some of her books have been optioned for film/TV. Carlson has two grown sons and makes her home in the Pacific Northwest with her husband and yellow Lab dog

To say I was sad is the truth about this book. It was so good I hated to see it end. It was a very fast easy read! Every year I pick up Melody's Christmas books and read them. This is a book that warms you inside. You will know that prayers work after this  read. Little Lucy prays for three things, her mothers smile to come back, a new daddy and a Christmas pony. A little faith is all it takes!  You will want to grab a cup of hot chocolate and a quilt and settle in with this fun winter read.
A copy of this book was given to me as a gift!

23 comments:

  1. This sounds like a truly good book to read. I would love to win this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to win a copy of this book .Thanks for the contest. Dana Spille jashbk@earthlink.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done it again Mary! Another great review. I love Christmas books. I love the Christmas season period! I started listening to Christmas music last month on my daily walk. I found out our Pastor listens to Christmas music beginning in September. So I am a month a head of him!

    Blessings! Thanks so much for your great and honest reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Mary! Put my name on this one! I love Christmas books, and Melody Carlson writes such beautiful stories. Thank you for a wonderful review once again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to win this book, since Christmas is just around the corner, it would be a good read.
    Thanks Melody

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know me so well Mary, yes I want to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Xmas books they are my favorite, hope I win.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love the Christmas spirit of giving,and winning this one would be a great gift ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can remember the pony I had as a little girl,,this looks like a great book,Id like to win..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, You are the winner e-mail me your mailing address. themaryreader@yahoo.com CONGRATS!

      Delete
  10. Mary,,its almost christmas,,ans Santa would love to win this for a Christmas gift.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want this book! Thanks for the chance! I love Christmas!
    likesmusic2@consolidated.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Christmas books.This one sounds great.I would love to win it.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to win this book.
    slc925@yahoo.com
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I'm very interested in winning this book. I love Christmas books. Maxie ( mac262@me.com )

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Melody Carlson's Christmas book. They leave me with a warm, fuzzy feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Would love to win. sounds great. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. Christmas is coming fast and who wouldn't love to win a pony . Count me in .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a great book. Would love to win.
    Thanks for the opportunity!!!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would love to win this book!! I enjoy your book reviews and Author highlights. Thanks for all you work you put into this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh yay, I love Christmas books!!! thanks for entering me!
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am reading this right now I love it

    ReplyDelete