Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Devil Walks in Mattingly By Billy Coffey



For the three people tortured by their secret complicity in a young man's untimely death, redemption is what they most long for . . . and the last thing they expect to receive.
It has been twenty years since Philip McBride's body was found along the riverbank in the dark woods known as Happy Hollow. His death was ruled a suicide. But three people have carried the truth ever since—Philip didn't kill himself that day. He was murdered.
Each of the three have wilted in the shadow of their sins. Jake Barnett is Mattingly's sheriff, where he spends his days polishing the fragile shell of the man he pretends to be. His wife, Kate, has convinced herself the good she does for the poor will someday wash the blood from her hands. And high in the mountains, Taylor Hathcock lives in seclusion and fear, fueled by madness and hatred.
Yet what cannot be laid to rest is bound to rise again. Philip McBride has haunted Jake's dreams for weeks, warning that he is coming back for them all. When Taylor finds mysterious footprints leading from the Hollow, he believes his redemption has come. His actions will plunge the quiet town of Mattingly into darkness. These three will be drawn together for a final confrontation between life and death . . . between truth and lies.


Pick up your copy here

I write about what I see and wrap a story around it, which often results in characters who realize stumbling through life is okay because it's still moving forward. That seems appropriate, I think. In the end we're all doing the best we can with what we have, smiling through the fear we face, and trying to find the beauty in life's sameness. So I watch and I listen, and what doesn't end up in a book will usually find its way to my blog, What I Learned Today.

I really enjoyed Coffey's last book When Mockingbirds Sing so I could not wait to crack this one open.
The Devil Walks in Mattingly was a little bit darker then the last and most of the time I don't care for dark books but this one was different than most dark books.
For those of you who are thinking a dark read is not my cup of tea, well I have to say it was really good , I was not disappointed at all. You will really enjoy this read.
This is one of those books that has many points of views, more and more authors are using more then one point of view it seems now. That was the only thing that I did not like about the book.
I gave this book 5 stars.
I was given a copy of this book by the publisher for my honest review. 

9 comments:

  1. Would love love love love to read this !!! Blessings ,DanaGirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds very interesting. Thanks for your review of it Mary. I will put this one on my list.

    Blessings!
    Judy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! Sounds like a suspense book that I would love to read, especially if you, Mary, gave it a 5 star! Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sound very suspenseful and I would love to read this one. Now I will be adding this to my TBR stack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good book, Mary! Thanks for the positive review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am intrigued by this one, Mary. It sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review, Mary! You have certainly piqued my interest! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds very good. Thanks for the good review.

    ReplyDelete