Friday, August 21, 2015

The Plain Choice By Sherry Gore



Raised in a broken family and emotionally overlooked, Sherry Gore grew up without a solid foundation, a prisoner of her own poor choices, and at times without hope.  A series of terrible mistakes left her feeling wrecked and alone and a sudden tragedy threw Sherry into an emotional tailspin too powerful to escape.
Sherry hangs by a thread, unable to see how she can go on living, until it happens: on a morning of no particular significance, she walks into a church and BAM the truth of Jesus’ forgiving love shatters her world and cleaves her life in two:  She goes to bed stunned; she wakes up a Christian.
Unwilling to return to the darkness of her former life, Sherry attacks her faith head on.  Soon the life Sherry Gore remakes for herself and her children as she seeks to follow the teachings of the Bible features head coverings, simple dress, and a focus on Jesus Christ.  Only then does she realize, in a fit of excitement, that there are others like her.  They are called Amish and Mennonite, and she realizes she has found her people.
The plain choice that Sherry makes is not easy – and life still brings unexpected pain and heartache - but it changes everything for her, as she becomes one of the few people on earth to have successfully joined the Amish from the outside. 
She has found her place. And her story proves that one can return from the darkest depths to the purest light with the power of God.

Pick up your copy here...

Sherry Gore is the the author of two cookbooks, "Simply Delicious Amish Cooking" and "Me, Myself and Pie" and co-author of the novel "Made with Love.” She is also a weekly scribe for the national edition of the Amish newspaper, The Budget, established in 1890. The National Geographic Channel featured Sherry prominently their documentary series, Amish: Out of Order. Sherry's culinary adventures have been seen on NBC Daytime, the Today Show, Mr. Food Test Kitchen and more. Sherry is a year-round resident of beautiful, sun-kissed Sarasota, Florida, the vacation paradise of the Plain People. She has three children and is a member of a Beachy Amish Mennonite church. When not spending time with her family, writing, or eating, Sherry is a cooking show host, and an official pie contest judge.

I really enjoyed taking a walk in Sherry's shoes, peeking at bits of her world. She has been through it and still holds on to her faith and love of the Lord. From English to Plain I think we have all thought about that at one time or another but it seems so hard to give up so much. ( By All I mean us Amish lovers)
Sherry has been through more than most and she is none the worse for the wear because she found herself and made a place for her and her three children with the Lord's help.
I love the stories woven in the pages of this book. Getting to see where Sherry came from and what she has become is  a memoir worth sharing with all of your friends no matter what they are going through.
I really enjoyed this book and it is a 5 star book you want to keep on your personal book shelf.
I was given a copy of this book by the publisher for my honest review

13 comments:

  1. As much as I talk about wanting to go to Amish country and live the Amish lifestyle, I am going to have to read this book. I think It was written just for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with Natalie. I am going to have to read this one. I am sure I will love it. Thank you so much for sharing Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a book that my wife will just simply love. Than you Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this one too !! Sounds really good .Thanks for the review .Blessings DanaGirl

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really good. I love to read about things like this with a positive faith undertone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like it would be a great book. I think I will enjoy reading about someone who chose to live like the Amish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a book I will be getting! I love her cookbooks! Was saddened by the death of Jacinda, her daughter. Sherry has been through a lot but God is blessing her with many new opportunities! Great review, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have one of her cookbooks. I am excited to read more about her. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this will be an encouraging and interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find the Amish lifestyle very intriguing. I would love to read about someone that wasn't born in it to choose that lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We always hear of the Amish wanting to give up their way of life to become like us, but it is rare when we give up our lives for their simple one. Sounds like a book that I truly would enjoy. Thanks Mary for this review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great book. Right up my genre! Thanks Mary. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read the book - it's a very sad story.
    I've noticed before how people who were traumatized in childhood will come to the Lord and yet not be satisfied, and will proceed to seek out and live some extreme form of religious lifestyle, often bringing their families along for the ride.
    Jesus doesn't ask us to live an 18th century lifestyle - no matter how we dress or what level of technology we use, focusing upon externals like food and clothing is WORLDLY, and has nothing to do with following Jesus.
    Rather, we "give up the world" and follow Him by ceasing to care about such things either way, because we have given our whole hearts and our undivided attention to Him .

    ReplyDelete