Wednesday, March 14, 2018

AS Bright As Heaven By Susan Meissner



From the acclaimed author of Secrets of a Charmed Life and A Bridge Across the Ocean comes a new novel set in Philadelphia during the Spanish flu epidemic of 1918, which tells the story of a family reborn through loss and love.In 1918, Philadelphia was a city teeming with promise. Even as its young men went off to fight in the Great War, there were opportunities for a fresh start on its cobblestone streets. Into this bustling town, came Pauline Bright and her husband, filled with hope that they could now give their three daughters--Evelyn, Maggie, and Willa--a chance at a better life.

But just months after they arrive, the Spanish Flu reaches the shores of America. As the pandemic claims more than twelve thousand victims in their adopted city, they find their lives left with a world that looks nothing like the one they knew. But even as they lose loved ones, they take in a baby orphaned by the disease who becomes their single source of hope. Amidst the tragedy and challenges, they learn what they cannot live without--and what they are willing to do about it.

As Bright as Heaven is the compelling story of a mother and her daughters who find themselves in a harsh world not of their making, which will either crush their resolve to survive or purify it.

Pick up your copy here...
https://www.amazon.com/As-Bright-Heaven-Susan-Meissner/dp/0399585966/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520976362&sr=8-1&keywords=as+bright+as+heaven+by+susan+meissner

I cannot remember a time when I wasn't driven to write. I attribute this passion to a creative God and to parents who love books and more particularly to a dad who majored in English and passed on a passion for writing.

I was born in 1961 in San Diego, California, and am the second of three daughters. I spent my very average childhood in just two houses. I attended Point Loma College in San Diego, majoring in education, but I would have been smarter to major in English with a concentration in writing. The advice I give now to anyone wondering what to major in is follow your heart and choose a vocation you are already in love with.

I'm happy and humbled to say that I've had 17 books published in the last dozen years, including The Shape of Mercy, which was named one of the 100 Best Books in 2008 by Publishers Weekly, and the ECPA’s Fiction Book of the Year, a Carol Award winner, and a RITA finalist. I teach at writers' conferences from time to time and I've a background in community journalism.

I'm also a pastor’s wife and a mother of four young adults. When I'm not at work on a new novel, I write small group curriculum for my San Diego church. Visit me at my website: http//:susanmeissner.com on Twitter at @SusanMeissner or at www.facebook.com/susan.meissner

My Thoughts...

I was not sure how I would feel about this book. But oh all of the emotions that I felt.
I was sucked in and never let go until the very end of the story.
I lived in the pages with the family, I was so captivated by the whole Spanish flu and the voices of the families. 
I highly recommend this book. I gave it 4 stars and I can't wait to share it with my friends.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are our own.

19 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful, I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I normally don't care for historical fiction but you make it sound good. I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Historical fiction is one of my favorites! From your review Mary, I can't wait to read this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is in my cart on Amaozn. I'm really excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well well well, this is going to have to be read. loved your review of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course my wife will be wanting a copy of this one. I will have to stop on the way home and surprise her with a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I called the library and requested this one after reading your post and there are 5 people ahead of me, Should I just buy this one Mary?

    ReplyDelete
  8. O boy, this is going on my must read list so that I can get it this weekend. So glad that you told us about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, you are the WINNER! I will get your book right out to you!

      Delete
  9. I would love to read this, your review was so good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let's get one thing out of the way right away, you have only the best books on your blog. This one is going to be here by this weekend, I will be unavailable this weekend. Go NOT disturb.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a awesome read!! Blessings, DanaGirl

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the cover and I can't wait to read the book. Thank you for a great review, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a fiction novel that pulls you in and has all the feels! I will have to get a copy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to read this one, Mary. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wasn't sure about this one, but from your review, it's good! Thanks, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This one makes me excited. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete