Thursday, April 14, 2016

The Atonement By Beverly Lewis


A Must-Have Novel from the #1 Name in Amish Fiction
The mistakes of the past haunt Lucy Flaud, who years ago stopped attending the activities for courting-age young people in her hometown of Bird-in-Hand. Now twenty-five and solidly past the age of Amish courtship, Lucy has given up any hope of marriage, instead focusing her efforts on volunteering in both the Plain and fancy communities of Lancaster County. Yet no matter how hard Lucy strives, she feels uncertain that she'll ever find redemption.

Dale Wyeth has a deep mistrust of modern-day "advances" and the dependency they create. The young Englisher's interest in living off the grid is fueled further when he meets Christian Flaud, Lucy's father. Dale appreciates the self-sufficient ways of the Old Order Amish, and Christian invites him to learn more about them by staying at the family farm.
As Christian and Dale grow closer, developing a father-son rapport, Lucy begins to question what Dale's being there might mean for her. Could God be testing her? Or is it possible that even the most unworthy heart--and two people from very different walks of life--can somehow find a new beginning?

Pick up your copy here...


I've had my nose in a book, for as long as I remember. When I was about 9 years old, I started writing my own stories. By sixth grade, I'd hand-written a 66-page semi-autobiographical book titled, "She Shall Have Music."
After I was married and our three children were in middle school, I began submitting articles and short fiction to various magazines.

My first book (Holly's First Love) was published in May 1993, the start of a 14-book series for pre-teen girls. Soon after, my first chapter book was published for 7-10-year-old readers ("Big Bad Beans") which later became part of my 24-book series, The Cul-de-Sac Kids. I wrote another long-running series for girls, titled "SummerHill Secrets," which was set very close to Neffsville, PA, where I grew up--near the heart of Amish country.

But it was the story of my grandmother Ada Buchwalter's shunning by her ultra-strict father and subsequently her old order Mennonite community that nudged me toward writing adult fiction. THE SHUNNING was published in 1997 by Bethany House Publishers, and along with its sequels, has touched a nerve in millions of readers intrigued by the Plain tradition of Lancaster County, PA. The Hallmark Movie Channel will air the movie, "Beverly Lewis's The Confession" on January 19, 2013--the sequel to "The Shunning" movie.

My passion for Amish-related stories continues to keep me up at night, and I'm presently editing the 2nd book (The Bridesmaid) in my new series: "Home to Hickory Hollow," due out September 11, 2012.
When I'm between writing deadlines, I enjoy hiking in the Rocky Mountains with my husband. Cooking from scratch, playing Mozart at the piano, and making family memory albums, as well as traveling to meet my devoted readers during book tours, are some of my very favorite things. I also adore reading biographies and memoirs, as well as classic literature.


I fell in love with this story. Such secrets  and true, real , character's. It was so easy to fall into the book.
I never saw the ending coming. It is not a predictable Amish book.
New fresh story from Lewis. Easy and fun read.
Lucy was running from the Lord and she was trying to make things right by works and her selflessness was so refreshing.
I have to say Lucy was my favorite character.
I gave this book 4 stars and I enjoyed it so much. I recommend it.
I was given a copy of this book by the publisher for my honest review.

17 comments:

  1. I have read her books before and they all seem the same to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of Amish books, this month I see. May have to just this out. My wife has stopped reading them for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Beverly Lewis !!! Sounds great .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love reading Beverly Lewis books. She was the fist of the Amish books I ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be getting a copy of this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, you are the WINNER!I will get your book right out to you!

      Delete
  6. I have stopped reading Amish books lately, it seems you are posting about a lot of Amish books. I may pick up a copy of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Beverly's books so much she is so good. I will be reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been waiting on her next book, she is such a talented author. This is on my list to get next month. Thank you Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like mixed comments from everyone. I may want to just go to the Library and check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am Beverly Lewis' biggest fan. I know this is going to be a real gem. Thanks Mary for sharing with us

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another Amish book, I will have to see about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. New York best selling author and she is good. I know I'm going to LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been reading it & really enjoy this book . We just met her last Friday for a meet & greet " The Atonement " book tour . It was great talking with her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for a great review, Mary! This book sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read any of her books that I haven't loved! I am sure this one will not disappoint either! Thank you Mary for this review. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read any of her books.. I'll have to take a look into it..

    ReplyDelete