Friday, September 23, 2016

The Wish By Beverly Lewis



A Compelling Story of Friendship from the Top Author in Amish Fiction
Leona Speicher got the "sister" she'd always dreamed of the day Gloria Gingerich and her family moved to Lancaster County Amish farmland. The Arkansas newcomers seem to be everything a devout Plain family should be, and Leona can't help comparing Gloria's engaging young parents to her own.
Leona's cousin shows a romantic interest in Gloria around the same time as Gloria's older brother expresses his fondness for Leona--it seems likely the two young women will marry into each other's families, remaining close friends for life. Thus, Leona is shocked when the Gingeriches suddenly pack up and disappear after being expelled from the church for reasons no one will discuss. Despite Leona's pleas, Gloria goes with them, leaving more than one broken heart behind.
When Gloria unexpectedly contacts Leona after a silence of several years, Leona makes up her mind to persuade her friend to return to Lancaster County and the Amish ways. Leona's fiancé, the deacon's son, is alarmed when Leona decides to go after Gloria. Will Leona's dearest wish lead to her own undoing?

Pick up your copy here...
https://www.amazon.com/Wish-Beverly-Lewis/dp/0764212494/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1474667519&sr=1-1



I've had my nose in a book, for as long as I remember. When I was about 9 years old, I started writing my own stories. By sixth grade, I'd hand-written a 66-page semi-autobiographical book titled, "She Shall Have Music."
After I was married and our three children were in middle school, I began submitting articles and short fiction to various magazines.
My first book (Holly's First Love) was published in May 1993, the start of a 14-book series for pre-teen girls. Soon after, my first chapter book was published for 7-10-year-old readers ("Big Bad Beans") which later became part of my 24-book series, The Cul-de-Sac Kids. I wrote another long-running series for girls, titled "SummerHill Secrets," which was set very close to Neffsville, PA, where I grew up--near the heart of Amish country.
But it was the story of my grandmother Ada Buchwalter's shunning by her ultra-strict father and subsequently her old order Mennonite community that nudged me toward writing adult fiction. THE SHUNNING was published in 1997 by Bethany House Publishers, and along with its sequels, has touched a nerve in millions of readers intrigued by the Plain tradition of Lancaster County, PA. The Hallmark Movie Channel will air the movie, "Beverly Lewis's The Confession" on January 19, 2013--the sequel to "The Shunning" movie.
My passion for Amish-related stories continues to keep me up at night, and I'm presently editing the 2nd book (The Bridesmaid) in my new series: "Home to Hickory Hollow," due out September 11, 2012.
When I'm between writing deadlines, I enjoy hiking in the Rocky Mountains with my husband. Cooking from scratch, playing Mozart at the piano, and making family memory albums, as well as traveling to meet my devoted readers during book tours, are some of my very favorite things. I also adore reading biographies and memoirs, as well as classic literature.

Lewis has written many Amish fiction books. I have them all in fact but it seems they are all starting to sound the same to me.
This was a story about Leona and Gloria finding each other again after be a part for some years and one of the remained Amish while the other left the Amish.
It was a nice story but one that has been done before. It was well written.
I gave this book 3.5 stars. Just based on it being a retelling of the same ole Amish story. If you have not read an Amish fiction book in a long, then you will enjoy this one.
I was given a copy of this book by the publisher for my honest review.

11 comments:

  1. I like Beverly Lewis. I may read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure about this one. I will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will buy it and read it just because I am a fan of Beverly's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I will buy it. I need a Amish book right now. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I a going to not get this one. Thank you for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Beverly's books. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to pass on this one. I understand what you are saying. I thought that about the last couple I have read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love her books and can't wait to read this one! Thnx Mary!

    ReplyDelete